Friday, May 11, 2012

And we're off again!

It’s been nearly a month since we sailed back into Honolulu.  And a very busy month for sure!  Since we had come back and decided not to head back out until the weather (specifically, the Pacific high pressure system) stabilized later in May/June, I took the opportunity to book a ticket to the mainland to go to my niece Katya’s bat mitzvah.  I now think this might have been the real reason why we had to turn around!  I had been bummed about not being able to attend this momentous occasion with my family.  It turned out to be such a lovely experience – a real treat to be able to share this event with my niece and to have a visit with my family (including my sister’s mother in-law from Bolivia) – it’d been over a year since I’d seen my nieces!  I also took the opportunity to stop over in Seattle on my way back to Hawaii to take care of some Doctor appointments, and the timing happened to coincide with my honorary niece Maggie’s 10th birthday party.  It was a sleepover with 11 girls – I’ve never heard so much giggling or screaming!  Suffice it to say, I had a great time on the mainland, catching up with friends and family.

Me with my nieces Katya and Jennifer
Me with my *nieces* (they call me aunty!) Maggie & Kate
Now, after being back in Hawaii for a bit over a week, we are seeing a good weather window for our departure.  If the forecast holds, we’ll let you know when we are at sea!  While I was on the mainland, Tim spent his time fixing up the boat further.  We added Radar to our new boat equipment.  Tim was up on the mast for better part of a morning, but he got it up and running in one day!  It’s going to be a huge relief in case we end up on the foggy California coast.  It’ll also be helpful for avoiding other vessels and even understanding squally weather we may be approaching.  We’re pretty psyched to have this new tool!
Timmy up on the mizzen mast, installing the radar

We also made some real lee cloths (tarps for the side of the cockpit), and a tarp to cover the gap between our dodger and bimini.  On our previous passage, Tim had gone to extraordinary measures to try to keep the sea from invading the cockpit – using all means of spare canvas, and cushions, and fenders.  And Tim has been working tirelessly to re-bed hatches to fix the leaky leaks, and to generally tighten up ship (screwing down floorboards, checking over the engine, adding weather stripping to the anchor and propane lockers on deck, etc.) , always good to do when you are heading offshore.

Block that wave!  No water allowed in our cockpit!
So, if it still loooks good, we may be heading out very soon.  We'll be posting blogs underway, and look forward to getting back to Mexico, althought it does feel like we're leaving paradise here in Hawaii.